Who Are "Older Youth"?
Older Youth are not just Camp Counselors or Junior Fair Board members!
Older Youth are current 4-H members in grades 8-12. These youth are invited to take part or apply to county, state, and/or national opportunities only available to members in these age groups. Members currently in 8th grade are only eligible to apply for Food and Fashion Board and Leadership Washington Focus (LWF) pending trip availability.
Meeting dates for 2023 will be announced on our Facebook page and on this page. Teens interested in the many available options are not required to attend these meetings; however, we highly encourage attendance so staff have an opportunity to get to know you. By participating in these meetings, you’ll receive ways to enhance your leadership skills; new activities to share with your club; information of local and state events and opportunities; the opportunity to meet other teens; and have fun!
Our advisors look forward to meeting you and are excited for this “new” level of county 4-H programming. Mark your calendars with all the important dates!
2024 Older Youth Applications - Applications will be posted here when available.
JUNIOR LEADERS club
The JL Club is open to all 4-H members who are in 9th grade and higher! No need to interview, you simply register! Members do not take projects throught the JL Club; it is a separate entity from the community clubs. Meetings/activities are held about once a month. Primary focuses of JL's are to engage in socialization, community service, and career exploration.
A few activities the JL's participated in 2022 included: Ohio 4-H Conference and Plowboy Prom, setting up an Easter egg hunt for Cloverbuds, a tour of Colentz Chocolates, and a fun day spent at Tall Timbers among others. Next up is our annual Older Youth wiener roast which will take pace on Saturday, October 22 at the Kendle Home at 6:30 p.m. Those who are interested in joining are welcome to attend! New officers will be elected at the November meeting and the new officer team will plan the meetings/outings for 2023.
Junior Leaders is a club that ALL teens currently in 9th grade and above are able to join.
- No interviews, just a registration!
- This is a club you join in addition to your current 4-H club.
- You do not complete a project through this club; projects are taken in your regular 4-H club.
- The vision and mission of Junior Leaders will be determined by you, the club members.
- Meetings/activities will be held once a month.
- Keep in mind this is a club that will teach leadership skills (such as career development), provide community service opportunities, socialization, and FUN!
2023 Junior Leader Club Meeting Dates
- Monday, February 20 - 4-5 PM, Broadway Global Methodist Church
Junior Leaders Club Newsletter
- January 24, 2022 (emailed via 4-H Online to all age-eligible youth)
Fundraising idea: Sarris Chocolate - sell at judging, camp, clinics, some at fair.
Have a Junior Leaders Booth and announce at shows about Junior Leaders.
- Egg filling 1 hour before JFB meeting (March 30) - EVERYONE bring a bag of candy - no peanuts/peanut butter
- Egg filling 1 hour before CC meeting (March 27) - EVERYONE bring a bag of candy - no peanuts/peanut butter
- Tentatively hide eggs at 9:00 a.m.
- Activities: egg and spoon races, red light green light, Simon says, balloon leg
- Egg Hunt on the 1st beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- Possible mulching at St. Peter's Lutheran Church (3640 Oldtown Valley Rd. SW, New Philadelphia)
- 11th - Hiking and ice cream at Atwood, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
- Dine to Donate at Texas Roadhouse (?)
- Sugarcreek Pearl Valley Cheese Tour (hopefully June 13 or 15, tentatively 10:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
- Science Center/Aquarium in Cleveland (July 18), van
- Tall Timbers Lake Swimming (August 8, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
Teen Leadership Retreat 2023
Retreat: Friday, January 6, 2023, 5:00 PM - Saturday, January 7, 11:30 AM
Junior Leaders Club Organizational Meeting: Saturday, January 7, 12:00-2:00 PM
Camp Counselors, Junior Fair Board, and Food and Fashion Board members are highly encouraged to attend!
Join us for a weekend of fun and learning at the 2023 4-H Teen Leadership Retreat! If you want to develop leadership skills, have fun with friends (old and new), and learn more about yourself - make plans to attend. This retreat is for ALL youth in 9th grade and above. The organizational meeting of the Tuscarawas County Junior Leaders Club will be held at the end of the retreat (Saturday noon - 2:00 p.m. - lunch included for the meeting). If you are unable to stay the night but would like to attend the meeting, you are welcome to join us!
Register for the retreat by 4:00 p.m. Friday, December 30, 2022. Click here to register. Forms will be available to print during online registration or can be picked up at the office. Payment, health, behavior policy, and permission forms will be accepted at the door. NOTE: You will not be permitted to stay if your forms are incomplete!
Contact Kiersten with any questions. Click here for the flyer with more information.
Ohio 4-H opportunities for teens
Ohio 4-H offers numerous opportunities for teen members to develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and aspirations needed for success. Opportunities begin at the local level and expand to the county, state, national, and international levels through various awards, boards, and more!
Click here for the interactive opportunities graphic.
Click here for the Ohio 4-H Just For Teens page.
More Opportunities and Programming
Click the links below for infomation on specific Older Youth opportunities and programming.