Cooking is a life skill that every youth should have the opportunity to develop. Kids in the Kitchen is a youth program from Ohio State University Extension that is designed to do exactly that. Basic skills such as how to follow a recipe, measure ingredients, use a sharp knife, utilize the oven, stovetop burners, and a microwave are all essential skills that are part of this program.
Normally, this program is offered as a session of events allowing youth to work together with an OSU Educator and volunteers but due to the current restrictions put in place as we navigate through the Coronavirus pandemic, we are offering this program virtually. Below you will find a series of videos and recipes. This virtual series will allow you to enjoy preparing, cooking, and serving several fun and delicious recipes while developing those essential cooking life skills.
Each video is accompanied by the recipe. Please view the recipe first so that you can gather the necessary ingredients and supplies needed to "cook" along with Chris Kendle (Family and Consumer Science Educator) and her family.
Please note that an adult should be present and assisting youth while preparing and cooking the recipes due to the use of sharp knives and hot surfaces.
Tuscarawas County OSU Extension Presents: Kids in the Kitchen with Chris Kendle, FCS Educator
- Welcome and Introduction to Kids in the Kitchen April 2020.
- Fruit Salsa - This recipe contains a variety of fruit, is refreshing and sweet without added sugar. Youth will practice their cutting and mixing skills with this recipe.
- Cinnamon Chips - These chips accompany the fruit salsa and add just enough crunch and spice to enhance the fruit. Youth will practice their cutting skills and will utilize the oven.
- Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas - This quick recipe is delicious, fun to make and is a healthy lunch or dinner. Youth practice measuring, mixing and cutting skills as well as utilizing the oven.
- Veggie Pita - This recipe offers lots of choices and variety. You add the veggies that are liked by your family members. Youth will practice making choices and their cutting skills.
- S'mores Bars - What a great recipe to wrap up our program! Everyone loves Smores! Youth will practice measuring and mixing skills as well as utilizing the microwave and the oven.
Thank you for taking part in our Virtual Kids In The Kitchen Spring 2020 Session!