TEST-OUT OPTION FOR MEMBERS 12 YEARS AND OLDER
As an option, county Extension professionals and senior fair board members may elect to allow 12-14 year-old and 15-18 year old 4-H and FFA members to test out of their annual QA program. Youth ages 12-14 years who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program for up to 3 years. Youth ages 15-18 years who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program permanently. These ages are as of January 1, 2020—a youth’s 4-H age.
How it works:
- Youth ages 9 to 11 must still attend QA instruction programs annually. They are not able to utilize the test as a means of qualifying for the QA training in their county.
- Youth ages 12 to 14 can test out of their age division by taking a 50 question, multiple-choice test offered by official county verifiers. The passing grade is 70% (35 correct answers). If a child passes the test, they are certified until they are 14 years old. At age 15 years, they will need to take another test or participate in a QA training for the 15-18 age division.
- Youth ages 15 to 18 can test out by taking a 50 question, multiple-choice test offered by official county verifiers. The passing grade is 70% (35 correct answers).
- If a youth member fails the test, they must attend a regular QA program. Youth are only given ONE chance to take the test annually.
A General Word About the Test: IT ISN’T EASY!
- There is no study sheet provided for this test, and no materials/resources can be brought into the testing area.
- Test questions correspond with information found in the 4-H resource handbooks, project record books, and other resources for all livestock animals.
- There are two types of tests—one for large animal projects and one for small animal projects. Members need to identify which test they are taking when they register to take the test. The member has the option to take either the large or small animal test if they are taking projects in both categories.
- Because the 50 questions are chosen at random, you are expected to answer general QA questions as well as questions from all large (beef, sheep, swine, dairy, and goats) OR small (rabbits and poultry) animal species areas.
You MUST pre-register for the test by 4 p.m. on March 11. The test will take place at the Extension office at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 12. This will be the ONLY day for the test-out option. If a youth does not pass the test, they MUST attend a face-to-face QA session. Youth are only given one chance to pass the test annually.